Recipe: Apple Maple Crisp
- 4 apples, cored and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup + drizzle of pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup buckwheat or whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup canola or sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put chopped apple in an 8×8 inch baking dish. Drizzle a little maple syrup on top, add ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and stir well.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, sunflower seeds, flour and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well.
- Stir in remaining ½ cup maple syrup and canola oil.
- Once the wet ingredients are absorbed into the dry, use your fingers to combine until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake until apples are tender and crumble is lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Makes about 6 servings.
The cool thing about this recipe is that it can be made gluten-free if you want to use gluten-free oats, and buckwheat flour. It is also vegan- using oil instead of melted butter in the crumbly topping. can be gluten-free if you use gluten-free oats and buckwheat flour. You’ll notice it’s also vegan, using oil instead of melted butter in the crumble topping!